5.23.2013

Asian Delight: Sweet and Sour Chicken

Last night for dinner I made some really good sweet and sour chicken. I normally don't to asian, except for stir-fry because it's easy and not hard to mess up, but this time I decided to try it out.

If you have time to make dinner from scratch it's worth the try. Let me just say this, I get home from work around 2:30-3:00ish and didn't start dinner until about 4:30-5:00ish. We leave for church on Wednesday around 7:10 (services start at 7:30). So, I had plenty of time to cut my chicken, fry it in oil, and then finish it off by baking it in the oven for 30 minutes.

So if I had time to do that, oh and unload the dishwasher and load it back, you can make this meal too. It's was fast, easy, fun, and delicious. Had I had all the stuff to make homemade egg rolls I would have done that too. I think that would have completed the meal. But in reality if I had had some in the freezer I would have just heated them up instead of making some.

I got the recipe here. She got it from Mels Kitchen Cafe (not sure who or where. she didn't have a link on her site). I also pulled the picture from her site since I didn't get a chance to take any of my dinner. But it looked just like this.







Sweet and Sour Chicken

Chicken Breading:
3-5 chicken breast
salt and pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil


Rinse chicken, trim off fat or extras and then cut into 1 inch cubes. season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken into cornstarch and coat all the way and then into eggs. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken until browned. Place in baking dish. 3 chicken breasts can be in a 9x9 but 5 chicken breasts fits better in a 9x13.


Sauce:
3/4 cups white sugar
4 Tablespoons ketchup

1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt


Whisk until smooth. Then pour evenly over chicken. Turn chicken so the sauce gets on both sides and then put in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. turn chicken and then cook for 15 more minutes.

*On the sauce stage: I ended up putting the chicken in the bowl with the sauce and mixing it in there to make sure it was nicely coated. Then I poured it into my dish.
**I also cut 3 chicken breasts and ended up using a 9x13 to make sure they laid evenly in the dish.

I also cooked rice and put this over it and it turned out to be a nice dish!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.







No comments:

Post a Comment