11.29.2013

Kitchen Makeover

Ever since we moved into our house a few years ago, I never decorated the top of the cabinets. It felt so plain and boring. I really didn't know where to begin on decorating. I wanted to paint the kitchen green like the rest of the house, but the hubby said no. He wanted to paint it an orange color.

So how do you narrow down a color? You pick out all the colors that you like, regardless of the color, then put them on the wall.  It looks something like this.


Every so often we would take down colors that we didn't like, until we got it down to around 3 or 4. One of the colors just so happened to be the orange that we painted it.

As you can tell the background is white with a yellow haze. That's from the wall paper that we took down. Then I bought texture in a can and sprayed the walls. There are 4 walls that we took down the wall paper.

After we got some of the paint up, my parents and grandma came over for thanksgiving. We celebrated it on Friday with them and mom said they would help us decorate the kitchen. I was so excited. I waited several weeks for them to come over and help decorate. Here is what the final look. I need to finish painting but other than that, I think it looks pretty good.

Check it out!!

This is one side of the kitchen. The other cabinets are to the left, just out of the picture.


Here is the other wall of cabinets. I really love how it all came together.


Here is a more detailed look at what's on top.


This is actually a candle holder that I put ivy in and there is still a candle in it. I got that from a lady's Christmas exchange party a few years ago. My mother-in-law bought the home sign for us a year ago. (It says: Home is where your story begins).

I bought the cake plate in East Texas at a Flea Market. The sphere came from TJ Maxx.

I bought the lantern from Big Lots a few years ago. This wall color will be a light tan to match the rest of the house.



Here is the other wall. Again, I need to finish painting.

I got the basket from my mother (which is on loan) and the pears came from TJ Maxx. The greenery came from Hobby Lobby and the owl came from a friend. I was going to make a wreath out of the greenery but I think it looks better here.


This is an old coffee grinder that my mother-in-law gave me when she was cleaning out her house. I love it. It's got some character. 



I don't remember where the square plate came from, but I bought it a few years ago right after getting married. The other plate I bought this week at a resale shop. It came with a cake stand and a larger plate. I gave the stand to my mom as an early Christmas gift.



The bottle came from a friend as a Christmas gift. The white owl came from my mom (it's an early Christmas gift) but she got it at TJ Maxx.



The S came from TJ Maxx as well, but a year ago. I'm going to paint the tray a yellow and then paint a pear on it. The orange owl came from the same friend who got the turquoise owl.


It might be hard to get the whole picture and maybe the unpainted walls don't help, but in person I think it looks good. It certainly looks better than before, with nothing up there. I can't stop staring at it.

Now to finish painting the walls. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment