3.11.2014

Iceland- The day of rest...

Day 3 was our day of rest, or our free day. We didn't have any excursions planned. It was nice to be able to sleep in and not have to rush out the door. We were able to go out and see more of the city.

We walked through the local Flea Market. Hubby bought a wool cap that a local woman made.

We went down to the port and saw where all the boats were docked. Then we walked the outer street and stopped at this metal sculpture called The Sun Voyager (looks like a metal Viking boat).

Then we walked up the street towards the Lutheran Cathedral again so I could get a picture of the front of the building. Then it started to snow as hard as the day before. It was unbelievable. The snow just came down so thick and big. It covered you and turned to water so fast that you started to get soaked. It was amazing.

I let dad take some pictures and he got super carried away with the camera. He took so many pictures that it was like having our own personal paparazzi. He had so much fun, he just couldn't stop. He would run down the street, turn around, and just start snapping away. He must have done this for 10 minutes. He literally did it the entire time we were walking back to catch the bus.


We were actually able to get my mother to walk into town. She actually walked the distance. For some, you will understand this. She's not a walk in the cold kind of gal.



On the way we stopped at a frozen pond and had to play. So we walked out on it and got our feet "wet". Way in the back behind the hubby, that part isn't frozen and there were a ton of ducks, swans, and other types of birds.


Oh look, he's throwing a snowball at me...... wait..... no....... I have the camera......please don't get it wet.


too late. I got hit. You just can't see it. :(


Then he got mom, while dad laughed.


Oh look...... it's us...... on a frozen pond. He's hoping it doesn't crack like they do in the movies.


We're going to throw snowballs at each other. (mom's taking the pictures)





Ha ha ha!!!! Guess not. We got her instead. :) We all laughed sooooooo hard. I love how you can see the snow splash against the camera in this picture. She really thought we were going to hit each other....not her. We're so mean (evil grin inserted).


Here are the swans.


Dad trying to get them to come near him.



This is a GREAT pizza place that we ate at. OH, it was so good. I could go for another slice now. We ate here for dinner the night before.


But on this day, we ate here. Hubby and I had the fish and chips. My parents ordered a pizza.


Right before the BIG snow storm came in. You'll see what I mean below. :)


The menu.


Our fish and chips. Which if you know me, I don't eat fish. I don't like the taste, but this one was fabulous.


Then as we were walking through the town, it was time for a snack. So we tried the lamb dog. It wasn't too bad.


Walking along the main road through town with a beautiful back drop. So we took pictures. My dad got crazy with the camera again. I decided to spare you the 30 pictures he took. So I only posted one of us. 


My parents


Mom and I




This is the Sun Voyager. When I was looking up information about Iceland, this one came up a lot.

The family!!



Here is the Cathedral. We treaked back up so I could get a better picture of the front.

Here is my youtube video of the Lutheran Cathedral's bells going off.









The snow started to pick up again, and came down hard. Doesn't look like it, but it was..... see below for more.


It was cold so we decided to stop for coffee in this neat little shop. It was a juice bar with freshly made juice, coffee, and desserts.



Then it started to snow harder. Can you believe it? And I mean harder. It was actually pilling up on us.


.... and harder......


... and even harder.


Trying to eat it. I succeeded too! :)


Just so excited to be in all this snow.... and trying to soak it up as much as possible.


Then we decided to eat sandwiches for dinner in the hotel room. So we stopped at a local store. They had whale meat for sale. That's 895 krona, or $7.96. YES, everything over there was super expensive.


So we ate lunch meat instead. We couldn't bring ourselves to try the whale meat.


You could have whale steak too.


Aww, the boys in the snow (my hubby and dad).


Random bike getting snowed on. 





So if we could do it all over again I would go back. This time I would love to go in the Spring time and see all the beautiful green grass. The pictures of it was just as beautiful as the snow we saw.

This trip was really worth it.


 If you get the chance.......... GO!!!! Don't wait. Pack your bags and go.

Next time we'll go in the Spring and see all the pretty green grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment