12.22.2012

Making Orange Marmalade

Friday was my last day of work for two whole weeks. I work in the IT department for a school district, so we get two weeks of vacation at Christmas time. It's wonderful. I get to rest, spend time with family and bake/cook.

Speaking of which, yesterday while I was at work my husband texted me and said he was at his mothers making orange marmalade and when I get off to come over. So I drove to my mother-in-laws house and there on the counter was these beauties. 

And this is how my husband and his mother made orange marmalade. Then I came in and finished it off!! :)

First you buy mason jars (I think we used 10 or 12 ounces. They were given to us.), lids, and the camps or rings. Then you need to sterilize them. Basically you put them in a big pot of water and boil them. 


The hubby and Mom-in-law had already made the orange marmalade before I got there. I got to scoop it into the mason jars. :) 


This is the pot that we put the jars in after we put the lids on to seal them. You boil them for 15 minutes. Make sure you have them covered by by two inches.





Here are the first two jars that came out of the cooker.



The hubby-miester cooking away.





A watched pot never boils, but in this case it did. 



Here they are cooking in the pot.



Taking more jars out of the cooker.






The finished product. Now to let them rest for a week or so. That way they can become thicker.



This will be delicious over a nice smoked ham. Next we are going to make grapefruit jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment